Sunday, August 14, 2011

My Feet, In the Right Place

Raise your hand if you remember day-of-the-week underdrawers.

I went looking for a picture of the ones I remember all the girls had back in the 1970's, but couldn't find exactly the ones I was hunting for. I think they came from Sears. Never mind -- those of us who know what I'm talking about will remember them without visual aids. I can't remember all the colors, but I think Fridays were black with red lettering, Saturdays were red with black, and for sure, Sundays were white with pink lettering. I don't remember much more than that, other than it was critically important that you have on the correct day at all times, lest you look like (a) you couldn't read or (b) your laundry wasn't getting done.

Sometimes it is helpful to have a little guidance from one's clothing, don't you think?

You may remember my post about socks, and the importance thereof. Shortly after I wrote that I headed out to a local sporting goods store to find some replacements. I knew I wouldn't find my WrightSocks, but I also had some difficulty finding the right Thorlos. I happened on a clump of Nike socks I thought might work well. I've been wearing them for the last week or so, and I'm happy to report I really, really like them.

They are very helpful, too.



THEY TELL YOU WHICH FOOT TO PUT THEM ON!!!

Seriously, people -- you cannot get more idiot proof than that. Keeping them on the correct feet is meant to keep them from slipping or bunching up. I'll go with that. Also, each of the three pair in the set I bought has a color theme, and that's actually important, too. This ensures--provided you don't lose a lone sock somewhere along the way--that a pair will enjoy equal wear. Very, very clever.

These have really nice padding at the forefoot (most important to me) and at the heel, and some magic weaving of some sort means they hug the arch of the foot, too. I don't have problems with my arches (yet), so I'm hoping this helps stall that for a bit. They also wick well, which means my feet stay nice and dry. For those who don't like a thicker sock, you'd do well to stay away from these, but I find them to be very comfortable. 

I'll be starting my hunt for a new pair of shoes soon in order to get them broken in before the half, but I believe my sock dilemma is solved now.

As for my "broken" Thorlos? I may have to take up arts and crafts. 

Stupid Sock Creatures: Making Quirky, Lovable Figures from Cast-off Socks


Be sure you put your feet in the right place, then stand firm. ~~ Abraham Lincoln




***


Monday, August 8

Total Miles:  4.26
Total Time: 1:05:23
Average Pace: 15:21 per mile

Tuesday, August 9

Total Miles: 3.58
Total Time: 55:51
Average Pace: 15:36 per mile

Wednesday, August 10

Total Miles: 4.38
Total Time: 1:07:55
Average Pace: 15:30 per mile

Thursday, August 11
Rest

Friday, August 12

Total Miles: 4.89
Total Time: 1:13:09
Average Pace: 14:58 per mile

Saturday, August 13

Total Miles: 5.01
Total Time: 1:15:14
Average Pace: 15:01 per mile

Sunday, August 14

Total Miles: 6.88
Total Time: 1:49:24
Average Pace: 15:54 per mile




Check out this week's playlists. There are some truly cool links/videos there this week!
There's a link to it on the right-hand column.

2 comments:

  1. Never realized you could make a living writing about socks. You never know. I could take up running and find out all about socks myself couldn't I?????? Very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have actually made sock puppets! not as nice as those on the cover though..

    ReplyDelete