Friday, July 15, 2011

Bat Wings and Mockingbirds

I took a day off from walking yesterday to make sure that the issues from Wednesday were fully resolved. It's important to take a day off from almost any exercise endeavor at least once a week, and if you are really pushing the limits, two days isn't unheard of.

I don't push the limits. I generally take one off day a week - sometimes planned, sometimes just because - and I usually allow one day for just enjoying a leisurely walk. If you are really good at listening to your body, and you need to work on that all the time, by the way, you'll know when and why is right for you.

My day begins when my iPhone alarm goes off at 5:15. I scramble for it, and hit the weather icon to see what's what out there. Depending on what I see (Raining? Too hot? Too cold?) I decide whether to ignore it and go back to sleep, or spring out of bed when the I'm Serious About This alarm sounds again at 5:25.

Well, this morning, I peeked at the weather and it said 71 degrees and overcast, and I couldn't wait to get out there. The rain we've had these last few day - yippee! - had worked to make things more bearable out there.

Of course, when I got out of bed when the second alarm went off, feeling certain this would be the best morning out of the whole year so far, I glanced at the icon again, and realized it was 77 degrees.

Perhaps those of us who require reading glasses to tie their shoes need a weather app 
that reads the temperature to us. Aloud. Very, very aloud.

I sighed a deep sigh, and got all ready to go out anyway, and although it was that hot there were some wonderfully cool breezes that whipped up just often enough to make things bearable. Between the overcast skies and those little grace notes, it was a good walk.

Oh. The Bat Wings and Hummingbirds.

There were a whole boatload of people out this morning walking and/or running, most of whom were of the feminine persuasion, none of whom could shop in the junior department without somebody rolling their eyes at us. To all of us, I say GO GIRL!, but also this.....

... when those breezes began to blow, we were all so in need of some relief you began to see us lifting our arms to take full advantage, sort of like you see mockingbirds do?.



... except we did it with our bat wings.


******

Today's Walk

Distance: 5.67 miles
Total Time: 1:20:44
Average Pace: 14:14 per mile
(Intervals.... jogged a total of 10:30) 




3 comments:

  1. It is old A. Nonny Moose again. I applaud your tenacity but wonder whatever happened to that lovely daughter who couldn't, wouldn't, can't get out of bed early in the AM. She was probably wondering what she could do that she could write about. I do enjoy your blogs and am proud of your exercise program. Keep both of them up.

    ReplyDelete