Saturday, July 9, 2011

Hot Stuff



It ain't the heat, it's the humility. ~~ Yogi Berra

I wasn't sure this morning's longer distance would happen. 
The misery index (temp + dewpoint) was in a range I have
regarded as my "no go" zone, which is 150, but was at 151 when I struck out.

But how do you know if you don't try?

Particularly for these distance walks in the heat, I have a list of rules to which I adhere:

Enough water goes with to get me through the first hour.

There is Gatorade waiting for me at home in the beer fridge on the back porch for the second hour. If, when I stop by to get it, I'm woozy AT ALL, that's it. 

First hour is walked on the less shaded part of my long route. Second hour is full of shaded streets.

Plenty of places along that second stretch that would be safe for me to stop and ask for water or help (lots of friends in that neighborhood), and most importantly, my phone is always with me -- and for these long walks, my husband keeps his cellphone on and with him every minute I'm gone. 

As an aside, here are the two most important apps I have on my phone (other than my GPS, of course).  Even if the only walking you ever do is from the den to the kitchen and back, you should have these, too.  


See that one in the top left corner, called "Him?" All I have to do is hit that and it calls my husband automatically. (There is also a "Her" app if that's more appropriate.) Not only does this mean that, in an emergency, I don't have to fool with typing anything at all, it would also give an astute rescuer some idea that perhaps that's an important person to call if I'm in no shape to give information. 

Right next to it is the ICE app. That stands for IN CASE OF EMERGENCY, and it is my understanding that EMS know to look for that. The screen that pops up when you open it has my name, my emergency contact's name and number, an indication that I am an organ donor, and a list of any allergies I have to drugs or food. The second screen provides information about existing medical conditions, current medications, health insurance, primary care physician contact information, and information about whom to contact regarding my advance directive/living will information. 

I learned the hard way that these apps can be potentially lifesaving, and you need to have them if you have a smartphone. (We also learned at that same time how important it was for your personal "Him" or "Her" to have their phone with them when you are out....)

Ahem.

ANYWAY....

All of my safety measures were followed. I thought to bail after the first hour, but after getting my Gatorade and taking a couple swigs while slowing my pace a bit, I decided to press on. I did really well all the way up to the last mile, when there was no shade at all, and no breeze, and the sun was bearing down with what felt like a personal vendetta. I knew I only had about a mile to go to get home, and that I would be passing at least 4 houses where I knew folks and would feel very comfortable stopping if I needed to, so I just kept putting one foot in front of the other. 

My mantra was, "I can stop at Wilbur's... I can stop at Dorothy's... I can stop at Pamela's... I can stop at Gail's..." As I passed each of those homes I took an honest assessment of how I was and pressed on, until I got home.



That's just the way I rolled today.





Distance: 9.32 miles
Time: 2:16:42
Avg Pace: 14.4 minute mile
Avg Speed: 4.1 mph


Misery Factor at start: 151
Misery Factor at finish: 163






Don't sweat the petty things, 
and don't pet the sweaty things. ~ George Carlin

No comments:

Post a Comment